Instructions and Checklists for practical, common tasks.
This page is an index of the growing set of guides behind the operations of the research group. It is intended to be a living document capturing the overviews and checklists for mastering the practical, administrative, and computational infrastructure that ARFC relies on for various common tasks. All research group members should contribute to this section early and often. If possible, link to github repositories, gists, or Jupyter notebooks when there is a guide item that can be captured in one.
You’re new to the research group. There are a lot of tasks to get done before you can really fly.
- Read the Code of Conduct.
- Read the book. Ask Katy if she has a copy lying around.
- Install a text editor of your choosing. (e.g. vim, emacs, atom, or xo).
- Install git.
- Get a GitHub account
- Tell Katy your username so she can add you to the ARFC github organization.
- Configure git.
- Get a Zotero account.
- Join the ARFC Zotero group.
- Install the Zotero desktop application.
- Learn how to use Zotero.
- Learn how to access articles through the university library.
- Add yourself to the communication channels.
- Add yourself to this website.
- Install other software you’ll need.
- Handle HR stuff.
- Register for classes.
- Explore Chambana.
Dealing with Katy
Here are some ways to interact with me that will make my life (and sometimes yours) easier.
- Scheduling to meet with Katy
- Requesting a recommendation letter
- Requesting comments on a document
- Requesting help with software
- Asking Katy to be on your PhD committee
We communicate through many channels. Use the communication guide to understand and be prepared to make use of the various meetings, listhosts, chat media, calendars, twitter accounts, and whatnot that tie us together.
- install git
- install python
- install pyne
- install moose
- qualifying exam
- thesis proposal
- editing this website
- pull requests
- data management
- cloud computing
- using Blue Waters
- how to write
- what to write
- where to submit
- paper templates
- how to present
- what to present
- where to present
- paper templates