The culmination of doctoral studies.
- The preliminary examination must be successful before dissertation writing can begin.
- Create a repository to hold your dissertation during the writing process.
- A UIUC template is available at:
- Review an outline with your advisor.
- Collect figures and tables. Arrange them to tell a story.
- Determine a timeline for each chapter draft to be completed.
- Create GitHub issues and milestones to capture this timeline.
Rules of the Dissertation
- The format must
- The literature review must be comprehensive
- The impact on the field must be clear
- It is not a laboratory report - irrelevant details should be cited in separate reports or relegated to the Appendices.
- All code and data must be cited (with DOIs) and version controlled.
- Review should be conducted on a chapter-by-chapter basis with your advisor and committee.
- Once review is complete, request permission from your advisor to schedule the defense.